Friday, July 27, 2007

End of an Era

well, it's official. for the first time in 5.5 years, i am not pregnant, breastfeeding, or pregnant and breastfeeding. that's right, jonathan is officially weaned. he's not too happy, but not sure he remembers exactly what it was he's not happy about....it's the blessing and curse of the 1 year old attention span.

me, on the other hand, i'm ambivalent. as i usually am at big crossroads like this. on one hand, it is really nice to have more freedom and to let someone else take over the nighttime waking, putting-the-baby-to-bed routine. on the other, i am going to miss that sweetness of time together, the way he would look at me while we were nursing, the easy comfort that nursing brings. the funny way he would throw one arm over his eyes. the oh-thank-goodness-i-finally-got-some-milk eyes rolling back in the head.

he's got things to do now, places to go. he can't be stopped for nostalgia.... bye bye, baby. hello, toddler-on-the-road!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I didn't have quite as long a stint as you, but remember feeling about the same at the end of 3.5 years of pregnancy/nursing. It's impossible to describe the changing feelings as the babies grow, I can only imagine what I'll feel like when Charles turns 10 or one of them get married.

Thomas is now officially done with his pacifier, and also sleeps in the big boy bed with Charles now. Ultimately, I'm glad, but sometimes I miss the baby who wanted his "paci".

kim said...

Christy -- I'm in the same place! Isn't it weird?! But also good at the same time. I can totally relate to what you wrote. I just posted a reply to your comment on my blog. We're on our month-long vacation and we'll be back mid-August. Hope to touch base then!